Saturday, June 21, 2008

Soaking it in.....

Life has been pretty busy here in Gracias. I have spent the last couple of weeks preparing for volunteer arrival. I went on community visits a couple of weeks ago. I will be working in two communities that are conveniently located in the mountains. I think the mountains are beautiful and majestic and all those other good things. It´s just very hard to appreciate them when you believe that you are going to die trying to hike your way up. On my way back home I had to wake up at 4:30 am to catch a 6:30 am bus back to Gracias. I rode a horse to the bus stop, through the mountains, as the sun came up. While bats flew around my head. Vale la pena, I suppose.

Beyond climbing mountains I am trying to immerse myself in the Honduran culture. I joined the PLAN dance team and have learned a couple of folkloric dances. On the last night of briefing we put on a presentation for the volunteers and I got to show off my newly learned skills. I wore the dress which weighs about 15lbs and probably sweated off just about as much trying to dance in it. But the dance went well and everybody thought I had been learning for years, but really I only had 2 practices.

In other news, I have scabies. It isn´t the end of the world like I thought it would be. I´ve taken some meds, researched them on Wikipedia and have come to terms with it. I´ll keep you all abreast of the situation.

Hope all is well at home....

Todo cheque,
Raquel

2 comments:

Hanky Ann said...

You have scabies.... man... that´s awesome... didn´t you have those before... I want to see the dance when you get home. P.S. let´s just meet up somewhere down here and teach English for a couple years... Agreed? Agreed... and get more tattoos.

Unknown said...

Girl, you are having the experiences. I'm sorry about the scabies. Hope it heals fast. I know it can be really uncomfortable. The dancing sounds like fun and a great weight loss program. You'll be a full HondureƱa when you get back. I hope your volunteers are good ones. I'm proud of you and a little bit envious! Love, Paula